You might want to go somewhere, you are ready and your car doesn’t start. Oh, God! your car battery is dead.
How many of you have faced this kind of situation in your life? Well, i have faced these kinds of situations many times. But these kinds of situations may not be worrisome if you find someone with a car and intends to help you.
But what if you don’t find anyone with a car?
What if you are in the middle of an empty road, and you can’t find any other car?
These kinds of difficult situations can arise too.
In such cases, you have to find out how to start a dead battery without another car. This article below explains the ways how to start a car with a dead battery without another car.
How to start a car with a dead battery without another car?
Even though when your car battery is dead, even though there is no other car to jump-start your car, still you can start your car.
Firstly what is this process of a jump start?
A jump start is simply giving a boost to your car battery when it is dead. This process usually refers to the flow of electricity to the dead battery from an external source. Here the external source can be anything. It can either be another car or even another device.
This process requires jumper cables and a temporary connection is to be made between your car with a dead battery and the donor car’s battery.
This can also be done using some external power source if you have any. This small process provides enough power to your car to start its engine when its battery is dead.
Two techniques to start a dead car without another car
1. Push start method
This is one of the most common methods of starting a car and most of you know regarding this.
This is also called bump-start method. This method is quite easy, but there are certain prerequisites for using this method. Firstly your car should be a manual transmission one and not an automatic one. Secondly, you should have another person for help. In case, if you are alone, your car should be on a slope to move forward or backwards easily.
As the method’s name itself suggests, you have to push your car or ask someone to push your car to start your dead car in this method. This is one of the simplest methods as you need to just give a little push to your car until it gains some momentum.
Steps to push start your car
1. Firstly turn on the ignition key.
2. Set your car’s gear to position 2.
3. Press the clutch and ask someone to start pushing your car till it achieves a little speed. A very little speed may not be helpful in starting the engine, whereas a minimum speed to start the engine may be required.
4. As your car reaches the required speed, release the clutch pedal. This transmission will turn the engine over and cause it to start. As your engine starts, it starts charging your weak car battery.
2. Using a jump starter
You can call the equipment with different names. You can call it a jump starter or battery jumper or even a jump box.
It is a simple portable device that holds enough power to jump-start your vehicle.
This is similar to using jumper cables, but the only difference is that you don’t need another car to jump-start your car.
Process of using a jump starter
Using a jump starter is quite easy as they are being available in the form of advanced devices with many features and instructions already given.
This is mostly similar to the regular jump starting process.
1. Firstly turn off your car engine before beginning the process. This is a precautionary measure to avoid unnecessary accidents.
2. Connect your car battery to the jump starter with the cables provided. Be careful while connecting the cables. First, connect the positive terminal of the jump starter to the positive battery terminal. Now connect the negative terminal of the jump starter to any grounded metal such as your car’s metal frame.
4. Connect the terminals properly, otherwise, your battery may not get charged efficiently.
5. Leave it for a few seconds time, so that your car’s battery absorbs some charge. Start your car engine and check if it has started. Do not worry if your car does not start. Wait for another 15 seconds and start the engine again. Your car will mostly start.
6. Now disconnect the cables carefully, by disconnecting the negative jump box cable first followed by the positive one.
Advantages of using a jump starter
1. Jump starters are portable and easy to carry anywhere. You can just keep it inside the car and it comes to use whenever necessary. Even though the old lead-acid jump starters are heavy and difficult to carry, the new lithium-ion ones seem very comfortable.
2. You don’t have to wait for any one’s help when your car does not start. Even if it in the middle of nowhere, you can start your vehicle with a discharged battery.
3. These jump starters are safe to use when compared with the conventional process of using jumper cables with another car. While connecting jumper cables to your donor car, there is always a little risk of sparks and even fire.
4. The process of using jump starters takes less time to boost your battery when compared with the process of connecting jumper cables to another car’s battery.
How to start an automatic car with a dead battery without another car?
What about a car with an automatic transmission? Can you push start an automatic car with a dead battery, like the same way as a car with a manual transmission?
Actually, in case of an automatic car, it is not advisable to push start the car. If you have a car with an automatic transmission, you should not try to start your car with this push start method when the battery is weak.
Cars with automatic transmission have a different style of gearing and you cannot shift the gear mode from neutral to drive mode suddenly while the car is moving, as it causes damage to the system. Hence this push start method doesn’t work.
In these cars, you cannot control the exact gear position. Hence while pushing, it is difficult to control the car sometimes as you cannot determine how fast your car will move.
Hence this push start method is not suitable for cars with automatic transmission.
Then how to start or how to jumpstart an automatic car without another car
The other way to start an automatic transmission car without another car is by using a jump starter. The jump starter works amazing well not only for manual transmission cars but also works for these automatic cars.
The procedure of using this jump starter is the same as that of using a jump starter for a manual transmission car.
Hence if you have an automatic car it is always advisable to keep the portable jump starter inside your car in order to avoid unwanted situations.
As it is lightweight and portable, it occupies very less space and is very easy to store inside your car.